Friday, December 29, 2006

you can take the girl out of the country...

:)
it's true.
I've been in Lincoln with my family for the holidays. Yesterday, I was driving to Kansas City to visit some friends, and, as I looked out my window at the passing cornfields and cow farms, I thought "I love the midwest". And truly, I do.
I like small towns. Population 1000. Brick and cobblestone streets. Stores and restaurants that close at 7pm. People that are friendly and have time for each other.
I like the slower pace of small towns. Climbing the corporate ladder isn't life's focus here.
I've never understood "big city" culture, and I've never liked it. I don't understand how or why "keeping up with the Jones'" has become the preferred pasttime.

It's late, and I'm tired, and as much as I'd like to write something profound and eloquent, my brain isn't up to the task.
The simple truth is that I like "small town". Small town people, small town priorities, small town way of life. Life is rich here. It has meaning that extends beyond the boardroom and the paycheck and inground swimming pool.
I'm so grateful for my heritage, my history, my roots. I'm glad that I know there's a better way to live. I'm glad I get to come back home every so often and be reminded that "big city" life is a sham. Small town is the only way to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home