Thursday, August 07, 2008

no words...

Several months ago, I watched and blogged about a documentary called "God Grew Tired of Us". It follows the lives of several Sudanese young men who had been re-settled in the United States after spending nearly a decade in a refugee camp as a result of the country's violent civil war. They were given the collective name "The Lost Boys"... by whom I don't know. Though the documentary told the stories of only six boys, nearly four thousand were re-settled in the United States.

Tomorrow, one of these Lost Boys will carry the American flag and lead his team in the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. My breath caught in my throat when I saw the headline. His name is Lopez Lomong. I highly recommend that you read his story, and - if possible - watch the Opening Ceremonies tomorrow night, if for no other reason than to see a young man who survived horrors worse than we could ever imagine, and has now been given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to proudly represent both his countries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home