Friday, May 25, 2007

sometimes i just need to hear stuff i don't understand

to my American friends (living in the country) I pose a question:
Do you ever get tired of hearing the English language?

I know that I do. Some days I simply long to hear something I don't understand. Today it's African languages. Thanks to the wonder of the Internet, iTunes allows me to listen to an African radio station. Some days I find stations from the Caribbean, or - if I'm feeling particularly homesick - from the Netherlands. It all depends on my mood.

But it all boils down to the fact that I get tired of hearing the English language spoken with American accents. I love foreign languages, and hearing them - even though I have no idea what the people are saying - settles my spirit in a way that I don't totally understand and can't begin to explain.
I just know that it works. And today, African languages seem to be working the best.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually when i first went to madonna, i discovered many asian students speaking their native languages in the hallways

the first thought that went through my mind was "Thank you, we're all not like each other."

josh

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home