Thursday, April 26, 2007

greetings from Cali :)

Today was my third full day in California. The weather has been the same everyday - 75 and Sunny - which is such a great change of pace from the gloomy Michigan weather.
My time here has been really good so far. I've discovered a great little diner that opens early. So my morning routine has consisted of going to the diner at about 7:30am, getting a cup of coffee, and walking down to the beach.
This morning I went for a run along the beach (on the sidewalk, NOT in the sand!) and it was great. I really do like it here. Southern Cal seems like it'd be an easy place to live an active lifestyle. There's surfing, kayaking, you can hike all along the cliffs, and the weather is nearly always great.

Yesterday Kerrie and I drove around Palos Verdes, which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. We went to Trump Golf Course and discovere a trail that led down to the ocean. It was a great moment for me because I realized that there are very specific types of scenery and activities that really refresh me. At one point on the trail down from Trump Golf Course, you pass a sign that basically says "proceed at your own risk". From that point, the trail is very rocky, as your near the bottom of this huge cliff. The beach isn't sand. It's rocks and boulders. And it was - thus far - my favorite part of the trip. Don't get me wrong, the sandy beaches and landscaped walkways are beautiful. But I'll take rocky paths, hugh cliffs, and waves crashing over boulders any day!! It was spectacular!

Today we went to an all-glass church on PV that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Also very beautiful.

Though I'm only half-way through my week here in California, I've had some good, significant moments. Yesterday, when we were looking at all the beautiful scenery, there were several times that I wished some of my friends from Michigan were there to enjoy it with me. I suddenly realize that I'm less interested in where I'm living and working than in who I'm living and working with. On the one hand, I'm glad to know that my friends and co-workers have become such an important part of my life. On the other, I'm not thrilled with the possibility that I could be in Michigan for quite a while longer. So it's a bittersweet revelation, though more sweet than bitter. It's been a while since I've gotten close enough to people for them to mean as much to me as the people do who are in my life now. That was a long sentance... did it makes any sense? No matter... I know what I meant. :-)
OK, I'm off. Hopefully I'll have pictures to post tomorrow! :-)

peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home