Monday, February 06, 2006

i should be working but...

typing is theraputic so here it goes.
two things have been on my mind over the last day or so,

the first is something i heard from rob bell at mars hill. he says that when God created this world, He intended for us to do something with it. He intended for us to take care of it, make a good (or better) place. he also said that if you're bored, you're basically saying "yea, all this stuff You made? not really enough to hold my attention or gain my interest." and while that sounds harsh, it's true. there's so much to do in this world. so much that needs doing. i think of the times when i've sat at home thinking "i've got nothing to do." could there be clearer evidence that i'm out of touch w/God? this world is lost and dying and i can't think of anything to do? man.. talk about feeling convicted.

the other thing that's been on my mind is this idea (which seems to be a prevelant thought in a lot of churches these days) of "loving the unloveable". have i talked about this before? that phrase has always made me uncomfortable, but i couldn't figure out why. i was thinking about it one day and it hit me... how backwards that thinking is. to say that i'm going to learn to "love the unloveable" implies that my struggle to love other people is their fault. i mean, they *are* unloveable, so of course it's hard for me to love them.
the harsh reality is that my struggle to love others is *my* problem. the problem isn't that others are unloveable, it's that i can't (or won't) see what God sees. if i would just let God peel back the layers of junk from this world, and let Him show me who people really are, loving them wouldn't be such a chore. at the center of every person is a soul that is so beautiful, and captivating, and lovebale that God willingly sent His only Son, and Jesus willingly gave His life, for them. Yes, He sees our flaws and mistakes, but He doesn't *define* us by those things. He defines us by His heart towards us. and His heart says that each one of us is valuable. precious. loveable.
so the key to "learning to love the unloveable" is to first understand that they are loveable and that the "love" problem lies within your own heart. seeing people as unloveable is my problem. to quote one of my favorite movies (the abyss); "you have to see with better eyes than that." the key is to see past the exterior. see the soul that lies within, and define people by *that*, not by the things of this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home